Thursday 30 July 2015

So Posh

Today I'm inspired to write a bit on culture here in Britain, specifically Brum fashion and the social scene.  People watching takes on an all new art form when you move to a new country.  There's so much to take in, and I've been watching for trends, habits and trying to assess what's "cool" or "posh" as I've heard Adam mimic his coworkers.  This research is not to fill a need to fit in (I'm totally secure in my American-ness), but because it fascinates me.

Though my closet is much smaller here and many of my remaining loved pieces are stored away in Fairhope, I've maintained my deep love for fashion, even if my ability to express such has been relegated to how I can accessorize a black sweater.  Somewhat to my surprise, every girl here doesn't try to emulate Duchess Kate.  Weird, right? On the contrary, fashion here is quite eclectic.  It has a natural city vibe - a lot of black,  flats v. heels (practical for commuting/walking - though I'm  not sure I can get on board with the return of the Birkenstock which is happening on both sides of the pond), and mid sized leather bags (also good for working girls).  On the casual side, there are SO many crop tops! I saw these half shirts trying to make a come back in the US, and a somewhat tolerable one on teenage girls with undeveloped figures, but here, they're everywhere! I sometimes describe fashion here to Adam as having a lingering 90's flare.  Not the nasty grunge side, but the laid back casual freedom of expression side.  It's in patterns, faded jeans, and those bloody crop tops.
Here's a chic taste of the trends
While tagging along with Adam for a London trip recently, I went to the featured exhibit at the Victoria and Albert Museum, which fittingly happened to be on renowned and iconic British designer Alexander McQueen. It was incredible, and actually affirmed some of the previously mentioned trends I've noticed in British fashion.  McQueen's collections were edgy and a dark and the exhibit beautifully pieced together his work with intense light displays and appropriately accessorized Swarovski crystals.  I've always been a bit surprised that Kate is such a McQueen fan.  I'm sure part of it is her patriotism, but I like to think that it also speaks to the modern edge she brings to the monarchy. Granted, I think he's a favorite of many fashionistas, rightfully so.
A favorite from the exhibition
Speaking of classy and elegant style, I also had a chance to see an Audrey Hepburn exhibit at the National Portrait Gallery.  Seeing her iconic photos blown up and paired with behind the scenes images from her famous films was perfection.  You'd think those photos of her couldn't be any prettier, well they can - no wonder so many people wanted to make her a cover star.
Easy, breezy, beautiful
As for men's fashion, it's a bit more predictable.  Jeans and shirts are tighter and more colorful and hair taller and shinier (I'm talking gel).  As for the more formal work attire, suits are mostly required and sometimes come in pieces of three with an accompanying skinny tie. All in all, clothes for both men and women are more affordable and practical, though not necessarily more comfortable. When in doubt, look to the always chic, always stylish, always British Beckhams.
Seen here coordinating at Wimbledon 2014
As for ways to spend our free time, we stumbled upon two fun scenes in our neighborhood.  The first we've been eying since we moved in - The Jam House.  We'd heard good things and seeing the velvet rope outside only made us even more curious.  On a random Tuesday night we had dinner upstairs and made our way downstairs to hear some very talented singers…. that's right, I said Tuesday night, and just down the street from our flat - Adam's dream scenario.  That Thursday evening we stumbled upon a street festival with MY favorite pastime - food trucks! The delicious food just happened to be accompanied by music from none other than the same artist we heard earlier in the week. I've also visited the dry cleaners, nail and hair salons AND got asked for directions… twice! We're such locals.

June was a warmer month and I felt a taste of home - humidity, my old friend.  July hasn't been quite as hot, this week in particular has been cloudy and cool, so we may delay our beach trip.  It would crush me if I have to wear a sweatshirt in sand, so best not to risk my tender heart just yet.  As for other upcoming adventures, Mom recommended I take the obvious path and go to Buckingham to find Kate, so a fellow expat and I are planning an escapade thru the castle soon now that it's open for it's annual tours. Until next time chums!

No comments:

Post a Comment