Sunday 7 February 2016

Feels like home 2.0

Have we seriously been in the U.K. for 9 months? I could have had a baby and no one would know! Kidding - everyone who saw me at Christmas would know. Somewhere between moving, starting work, traveling, the holidays and attempting to live life like normal people, things just shifted and feel different now. I'll try to cover what's been happening as #AandJdoUK since my last post 3 months ago, as a dear friend and loyal reader reminded me.

As I touched on in previous blogs, Adam and I moved in October.  We really love our new neighborhood, Harborne.  We're just 3 miles outside of the city centre, yet somehow my commute via the bus still manages to take an average 45 minutes daily (my only complaint) - that tells you a bit what traffic is like here.  With several restaurants, pubs and shops along the high street, we  feel much more connected to a community than we did before.  Also, our place feels a bit cozier.  I was quite kind/generous with my review of our last place - which in reality was a painfully bare corporate apartment. Granted, when you choose to live in a pre-furnished residence, you take what you get - like our current futon situation. At times it's hard because it feels a bit like post-college living, especially considering we left a home in Jackson for which I was just starting to decorate and collect 'adult' pieces.  However, furnished was the practical decision and our new place has other redeeming qualities.  I've included a few pictures. As Adam reminds me often, it's all temporary.

Den - futon and more oak

Den w/addition of long sought after chair
Kitchen
Conservatory (sun room-which apparently Adam and I have a thing for) - we've also become farmers 
We have a futon, so why not a cork board?
Good sized bathrooms are hard to come by here, as are closets, which I don't have...
The blog title revisits a former post, but also has dual meanings this go round.  When I say 'feels like home,' I am referring to the UK, but I'm also referring to our visit back to the states at Christmas.  We knew we were homesick, and we knew we'd be thrilled to see family and friends, but we underestimated just how good it would feel. It was a whirlwind trip.  In 12 days we crossed multiple state borders visiting Bay Saint Louis, Jackson and Moss Point, Mississippi, Fairhope and Birmingham, Alabama, Lake Norman, North Carolina and New Orleans, Louisiana.  We were fortunate enough to see both families (grandparents included) and have some time with friends. It was a blur, but a really nice one.



I think I speak for both of us when I say the trip was a turning point in this journey for us.  When we left Jackson, we were ready for a change - we NEEDED it.  But being home, it was refreshing, and reassuring to see how much we both NEEDED our connections back in the states.  We knew the probability of returning back to the states was high, probably always above 80% certainty, but this trip confirmed so many things for us. We do feel more settled here having made friends and having gotten into the swing of thing at our respective jobs, and don't get me wrong, we aren't aching to leave and will miss it when it's all said and done; BUT we're also OK with the fact that we only have 14 months left.



So what's next? Well, what's immediately next is trying to survive our first winter in the UK and Adam's busy work season. One month down, two to go (I refuse to call April a winter month, even if I hear it's miserable here then).  Due to the two aforementioned heinous conditions, we've suspended monthly travel until April and will make up for lost time with a 10 day holiday to Italy! It feels like a great way to celebrate someone's (cough, in denial, cough) 30th birthday and our 3rd wedding anniversary venturing through Venice, Rome and Sorrento.  We're also very excited to have some visitors in May which will be quite the busy but fun month! Our moms are making a trip together and a few other Euro travelers will be staying with us as a part of their trips.  Reminder to all out there, we have a spare bedroom and would love to see you!

As for what's in for us next Spring when we return to the states, we're in talks with the US offices and will share more of that as it develops. In the meantime, we still have plenty of living and traveling to do here. Thanks to all that read the blog and keep up with us - it really does help us feel more connected and we so appreciate it!

Signing off for now - J

1 comment:

  1. You, Jordan, have the prettiest husband in the pictures; and you, Adam, have the most beautiful wife. When you do come home, I will kill you both for that picture of us in the silly hats. I love to hear about your life and adventures across the sea. It makes me proud that you had the courage to take on the unknown and to know you have conquered all you have come across. Winter tales should be interesting considering we have had all of four cold days here in the South that I recall. But I see you have a fireplace. Light it up and snuggle lots. And trust me. Bus commutes get pretty warm in cold weather as all the people in wool clothing crowd in together (how do I know this? Another story, another time). Spring and a visit to England sound so thrilling, and I have already penned our travels as M&KdoUK2. Be sure and have us some tea and crumpets when we get there!

    ReplyDelete