Sunday 10 May 2015

Beans for Breakfast

Cheers mates! In all seriousness, it's not a British stereotype… everyone really does say "Cheers" and they say it in several contexts - hello, goodbye, thank you, excuse me, etc.  I think I like it.  It feels friendly and warm which is appreciated considering it's been a windy week.  It also helps soften the transition out of the South where smiles and waves are as frequent as news stories about Kim Kardashian (which I don't miss).

Milestone alert - we've completed week one! Here's the low down on what we've accomplished.

  • We opened a bank account, and while this may not seem exciting, it's a big deal.  It took us three visits, several emails and calls to convince Barclay's that we are legitimate citizens, and they still aren't convinced of such of me (hopefully something we'll remedy once we have a utility bill in my name).  
  • We found an apartment! 
  • We witnessed two big events - The General Election and the 70th Anniversary of VE Day.  
  • We also explored the city and as you may have seen on Instagram, ate some tasty food.  On the nice days when the sun peaks out, Birmingham truly is a beautiful place.  Adam and I are both so impressed at the landscaping and beautiful green spaces.  Below is a picture from a garden we passed behind the library.  There are beautiful colors everywhere! 



Now, onto the good part - our new place! We chose option 3, Carpathian Court! Why, you ask?
  • Option 2 was not really in the running… when I said dated, I meant DATED… 1970's wallpaper, just not good.  We also didn't like the feel of the building or neighborhood.  Just to the right of the canal was a big rubble pile.  
  • Option 4 was great, but Harborne was not only far out, it also didn't have the neighborhood charm, it seemed to be a quieter crowd.  
  • Option 1 was new and pretty, but lacked warmth and was on the outskirts of the neighborhood.  

The minute we walked into Carpathian Court we felt at home.  It was exactly what we pictured living in.  The view directly overlooks these great streets and a cafe, which we tried, and loved - beans and all.  If all goes well we'll move in this week! Here's a pic from the outside, we're the second window up.  Also, here's a picture of the clock tower in town square.  When I say charming, I mean charming.



A friend posted a link to my Facebook page that shows some of the differences between British and American homes.  Most apply, though not all, so I wanted to share.  http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2015/05/watch-confusing-things-about-a-british-home/

Not as exciting to us, but still a big deal - Thursday was the General Election.  I'm not sure what your average American citizen knows about British politics, but I knew very little.  Here's the run down as I understand it and the video that helped me (classy version of School House Rock's I'm just a Bill).  

The General Election takes place every 5 years and constituencies elect MP's; the majority party's leader gets to be Prime Minister.  The Conservatives won the majority, so David Cameron stays in office.  There's also the Labour Party, UKIP, The Green Party, Independents, and several others.  I think there was at least one big shocker, but other than that, it seemed pretty calm.  Adam and I were surprised at how frank the media outlets are.  We were watching what felt like The Soup, but it was actually BBC 2 evening news.  Strange, to say the least.  

Friday we were at the Library of Birmingham (which is incredible, at least to a nerd like me) and stumbled upon a VE Day celebration.  Vintage clothes, actors and performances overtook the square. We loved catching some national history and pride, and having an excuse to waive a British flag. 


Tomorrow Adam heads to work.  If I'm being honest, I'm a little nervous.  We've been in a bubble, together, for a week now and he'll be off being productive, making his own friends, and I'll be… well, I guess that's for the next blog post! We ended up saving London for another weekend, so I still haven't met Kate, but it's only week 1 of the 100 we have here, so I'm not worried yet.  Till next time friends!

1 comment: